Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Mill Creek

     I decided to put in another big day so I went from the KOA in Eureka to the Mill Creek Redwood State park in Crescent City.  Another 75 miles under the tires.  There's not a whole lot to say about the ride itself.  I'm pretty much ready to be done with Northern California.  It's been great but it will be wonderful for my constitution to finally ride into another state.  Along the way there were some more of the grand redwood trees and some interesting State Parks with fresh water lagoons right next to the ocean.  This also must be the chainsaw carving capitol of the world because every small town has about five gift shop with chainsaw carving memorabilia.
Fox Gloves: Beautiful But Poisonous
    It wasn't the smartest idea to pick the Mill Creek camp as my last stop for the day because it happens to be on the downhill side of the 1000 foot elevation hill that leads you into Crescent City.  So at about 6:30pm I was thanking my lucky stars that I had six miles of uphill climbing left to go.  In truth I was getting pretty low.  The miles from the past two days were starting to wear on me.  But at the crest of the hill something amazing happened.  The mist from the whole days fog started to clear and the blue skies broke through the tops of the trees.  Then, because there was still some lingering fog, the sun broke shone through like rays of effervescent light.  It looked like the fingers of God were reaching in, caressing his creation.  If there is a more beautiful sight on earth I have not seen it.  It was enough to make me stop on the side of the road just to take in the splendor of the moment.  The worst part was that my camera battery had died earlier that day so the scene will only be alive in my memory.  I doubt that a picture could have done it justice anyway.
Smith Family
     Thankfully there were only a couple miles to go.  I reached my campsite around 7:30 with relief and a readiness to lay and crash down for the night.  But the day wasn't over for me yet.  As I asked a family a couple sites down from me if they could point me in the direction of the camp's restrooms, they not only gave me the information I wanted but pretty much made me an honorary member of the family for the night.  After a hearty, hot, steamy, chilly and s'more dinner the Smith family and I told each others stories  and laughed together as the sun went down.  Mark is a military chaplain and his wife Christy finds plenty of work home schooling their five children.  The family of seven is an amazing group of people that I have had the good pleasure of spending a few short hours with.  They live in the Seattle area and so I hope to see them again before the trip is over.  They sent me away in the morning with eggs and ham and with a full stomach I made my way for some WiFi and a cup of coffee in Crescent city.
     I'm taking a short twenty mile day today, but after it's over I will be in Oregon.  FINALLY!


  1. Beau. . I am still amazed at what God keeps putting in your riding path! We look daily for your blogs and enjoy living your ride through them! I told myself when you started that to honor your journey and possibility of not getting "good" coffee, I would fast and drink only Folgers!! Well. . . that didn't last! Bravo has been my coffee staple, except for Burg town. We visited the Square cup often! And it was bumpin' let me tell ya!! So in honor of your passing into Oregon, I am drinking an amazing Guatemala french press. Peppery, Chocolaty, Sweet!! YUMMY!! Love you lots and miss you even more!!!

  2. Happily reading your blog and living vicariously through you. Best of luck as you venture further North. I too honored your passing into Oregon by venturing over to Blue Bottle and having not one, but two delicous cups. Keep on biking!